This is the most popular breakfast dish in my country and it is also my favourite way to scramble eggs. They are really tasty and they look fantastic. These scrambled eggs are like a little ray of sunshine in the morning!
5 free range eggs
2 medium size tomatoes, finely diced
4 spring onions (scallions), well cleaned, and the roots and green tops finely chopped
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste
1- Beat the eggs with the salt and pepper in a small bowl.
2- Heat a large pan over a medium heat for a minute, then add the vegetable oil. Once the oil is warm add the diced spring onions, tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste. Cook the mixture for 5 to 7 minutes. Make sure that the onions and tomatoes are cooked.
3- Add the eggs to the pan and let them sit for 1 minute without stirring, then stir the eggs with a wooden spoon, lifting and folding them over from the bottom of the pan. Scramble the eggs until the are cooked but not dry.
4- Serve on a plate with a warm Arepa.
- Do not use olive oil, it will change the Colombian flavour.
- Use free range eggs, their taste and colour are wonderful.
- You might be wondering what is an Arepa? They are white corn cakes. They are one of the most popular foods in Colombia. They replace bread.
- If you do not have Arepas just toast slices of your favourite bread.
- This recipe is all about the eggs!