Vietnam In A Parcel
This savoury crepe is cut into small portions and each portion is wrapped in rice paper with leafy lettuces and fresh herbs. To me it was definitely a unique concept and fun to put together.
Ingredients for the Crepes
- 1 cup (200g) rice flour
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup (125ml) coconut milk
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil, plus extra to brush
Let’s do the Filling
- 400g minced pork
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 300g prawns, peeled, deveined, sliced in half
- 1 tablespoon of Hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 2 1/2 cups (200g) bean sprouts
- 1/3 cup coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup Vietnamese mint leaves
- 1/4 cup Thai basil leaves
Method for The NUOC MAM CHAM Dipping Sauce
- 4 limes, rind and pith removed, quartered
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 carrot, finely cut (julienne)
- 1 long red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
Let’s Do The Sauce
Place lime, garlic, fish sauce and sugar in a small food processor with 1/2 cup (125ml) water. Whiz for 1 minute or until finely chopped. Strain, then add carrot and chilli.
Method For The Crepes
- Combine rice flour and turmeric in a bowl. Whisk in coconut milk and 1 cup (250ml) water until smooth. Stir in spring onion and season. Stand the batter for 30 minutes or, for better results, overnight in the fridge.
- Heat oil in a wok over high heat. Stir-fry the pork and shallot for 6 minutes or until the pork is just cooked. Add the prawns and stir-fry for 2 minutes, then add the sauces and sugar. Cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Brush a crepe pan over high heat with oil. Add 2-3 tablespoons of batter and swirl to coat. Cook for 2 minutes or until the surface is dry, then remove from the heat.
- Sprinkle with 2 heaped tablespoons of filling and a handful of sprouts and herbs.
- Fold into quarters and transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter and filling.
Cut the crepe into small portions, place the portion on a sheet of rice paper. Add lettuce leaves together with mint, coriander, basil leaves. Wrap it like a spring roll. It is a bit messy at the beginning but you will get the hang of it.
Dip it in the sauce and eat. It is delicious.
- Make sure that the crepe is well cooked and crispy. It could take more than two minutes.