- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 5 tablespoons chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 3 spring onions, chopped, green separated from white, plus 1
- shredded to garnish
- 200g minced chicken
- 220g water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 2-4 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 2 – 4 tablespoons chopped fresh Thai Basil
- 3 little Gem lettuces, each broken into individual leaves
- In a bowl, mix the sherry and cornflour to a smooth liquid. Add the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sugar and stock. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan. Toss in the garlic and the white spring onions and stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Tip in the chicken and stir fry over a high heat until it colours, using the back of a spoon to break up any big lumps.
- Tip in the water chestnuts and stir fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Push the chicken mixture to one side of the wok. Pour the sherry mixture into the empty part and stir for 1 minute until it bubbles and thickens. Combine all the ingredients thoroughly, then leave to simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Season and stir in the green parts of the spring onions, coriander and Thai basil.
- Lay the lettuce leaves on serving plates, spoon in the warm mixture without overfilling, and scatter with the shredded spring onion and chopped coriander.
- Suggest your guests to roll the lettuce up around the filling to make a shape that’s easy to eat as finger food.
- You can make the filling the day before. Reheat it well for 5 to 10 minutes until hot, stirring all the time and adding a splash of hot water if it is too dry.