2x170g can white crab meat, or fresh crab meat (preferable in large chunks)
2 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
1 small fresh red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
30g fresh white breadcrumbs
2 tbsp. chopped fresh coriander
finely grated rind of 1//2 lime
1 egg, beaten
salt and freshly ground black pepper
plain flour, for dusting
3 tbsp. sun flower oil
hot chilli sauce to serve
1- Drain the crab meat thoroughly, then pat it dry with kitchen paper to remove any excess liquid, so the mixture will not be too moist.
2- Put the sprig onions, chilli, breadcrumbs, coriander, and lime rind in a medium bowl. Mix together and gently stir in the crab meat, without breaking up the chunks too much.
3- Stir some of the egg, until the mixture is the right consistency, and season with salt and pepper. Divide the mixture into 8 equal-sized portions and shaped into crab cakes. Chill for about 1 hour. Lightly dust each crab cake with a little flour. Shake excess.
4- Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a frying pan.. Fry the crab cakes on a medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until they are golden brown and heated through, adding more oil if needed.
5- Serve the crab cakes with chilli sauce on the side.
DIPPING CHLLI SAUCE
1/3 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground salt
1 long red chilli, pound finely
1 tablespoon garlic, pound finely
1- In a pot, mix sugar, vinegar, ground salt, chilli, and garlic together over low heat.
2- Stir until boiling and thick, aproximately 5 minutes. Seat aside and transfer to a serving bowl.
– to make the chilli flowers, you will need a pair of rubber gloves, a sharp knife and deep bowl with of ice-cold water.
– Put on the pair of rubber gloves, hold the chilli firm in a cutting board, make a cut from the tip of the chilli to the base. Do not cut trough the entire chilli. Keep turning the chilli and remember you are making the petals of a flower.
– Put the flowers in iced-cold water and keep in the refrigerator. The petals will open and curl.
– Use a paper towel to dry them and place them on top of the crab cakes before serving.
– Do not buy any dipping sauce from supermarkets, this sauce is simply delicious and soooo easy to make. Give it a go.
– On a lightly floured surface, shape the mixture into flat cakes, gently patting them with your fingers.
– Chill the cakes before you fry them. This is a MUST.